Friday, October 06, 2006

Uy-Bay a Ini-May

I'm a little behind the times, but Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners has an interesting "Secret Decoder Campaign" running for MINI (thanks, AdRants). You can also check it out at the GBMINI WEBLOG. Apparently, MINI placed ads that you can only read with a decoder that was sent exclusively to MINI owners. Cool idea, but there's one catch: isn't advertising supposed reel in new customers, especially for a product like a car that most people don't buy more than once every 3-5 years?

The opportunity to read an ad that I tore out of a magazine at my doctor's office is NOT going to push me to make a purchase decision. But I've helpfully compiled a list of "reveals" that might get me to buy a MINI, if I was shopping for a car anyway:

1) An official outline of the next 5 seasons of LOST written by JJ Abrams and hand delivered Josh Holloway

2) The name of the man Carly Simon is singing about in "You're So Vain"

3) The last chapter of Harry Potter book number 7 -- also hand delivered by Josh Holloway

Come on, MINI, get on it. The 1999 Honda my mother gave me 2 years ago ain't getting any younger.

No comments: