Thursday, September 21, 2006

Putting the "Are You High?" in High Fashion


I saw a banner ad on VanityFair.com showing a perky career woman wearing a kicky scarf. Very Mary Tyler Moore, and I'm always a sucker for anything VMTM.

It took me a moment to realize that it was a -- gasp! -- Wal-Mart advertisement. Apparently, Wal-Mart has taken a leaf from Target's book and is trying to bring fashion to the masses with original designs from Mark Eisen. The tagline is very understated: "George M.E. has arrived."

I don't know how long it's been since a Wal-Mart CXO has actually been in one of their stores, but I'm not sure they're on the right track.

Here's a tagline that might play better with their core demographic: "Wal-Mart: the cheap one-stop shop for all your tacky jewlery, video game, and firearm needs. We also sell tightey-whiteys and light bulbs."

No comments: